Can you start up a business in just 54 hours?
26 SEPTEMBER 2011, EINDHOVEN, THE NETHERLANDS
SummaryAre you the next Richard Branson? Do you have a briljant business idea, got the right skills as teamplayer, entrepreneur designer and just need a little help from an expert? Show it at Startup Weekend Eindhoven, last weekend of the Dutch Design Week.
Are you the next Richard Branson? Do you have a briljant business idea, got the right skills as teamplayer, entrepreneur designer and just need a little help from an expert? Show it at Startup Weekend Eindhoven, last weekend of the Dutch Design Week. Creative industries of Eindhoven, show us why we are the smartest region!
As you can see the startups can be patents, systems or applications, and more. As part of the Brainport region and located in Eindhoven, centre of creative industries, we expect to get a unchallenged mix of (industrial) designers and technology. Practical & hightech ideas, combinations of excellent design and function.
- Where? Startup Weekend Eindhoven takes place on the High Tech Campus Eindhoven.
- When? Friday, October 28th – Sunday ochtober 30th, the last weekend of the Dutch Design Week
- Tickets? Get your tickets at eindhoven.startupweekend.org. We expect the event to be sold out.
Startups form earlier editions
The succes of this event is best shown with some examples: Foodspotting (SW San Francisco), Launchrock (SW Philladelphia), Zaar.ly (SW Los Angeles), Memolane (SW Kopenhagen). Winners from last Startup Weekend Eindhoven, earlier this year:
- Most innovatove idea: ParentSupport, an application which helps parents to find fast and reliable babysitters. This team was led by Liesbeth Vriens who will be a mentor at the next Startup Weekend
- The team of Jelle Prins called the Ipad cash register (a low budget, open and fashionable cassier system) got a prize as the startup with the most change to get a million euro’s in trade within one year.
- Overal winner: team “Water Trade”. This team got a patent on windmills which provide clean drinking water in poor areas.
Get your early bird tickets
Be quick to join this event! We expect to be sold out. Be even quicker to get your early bird ticket, the discount last only until Wednesday 28th september!
How does Startup Weekend Eindhoven work?
- Pitching ideas
- Voting for the best ideas
- Discuss and team up
- Work on the ideas
On Friday night people from the audience pitch their ideas. There can be as few as 10 pitches or as many as 100, we keep on pitching until everyone is done! We do a simple vote of everyone’s favorite 3 to narrow down the ideas to the top 20%. Individuals then gather around the remaining ideas, discuss feasibility, and identify what they need as far as skill sets and resources to get to work and thus form teams. People are free to work on any idea that interests them that they feel they will have a value-add for.
Once the teams are formed (on Friday night), they get down to work (Saturday and Sunday) and the experience becomes unique to each individual. This all depends on the idea you’re working on and your role within the team but there are typically 5 states:
- Team Meetings... planning, decision making and status updates.
- Whiteboarding... in groups of 2 or 3 to flesh out an idea or solve a problem
- In the zone... working solo to deliver your piece of the puzzle on time
- Collaborating with mentors... validating your vision, seeking advice
- Cruising... getting amongst the other teams to gather more data, opinions, expertise
In addition to working on your idea, we will at times ask you to take a break and be inspired by insightful and motivating speakers. And of course there’s ample time for eating, drinking, sleeping.
The only certainty of course is that for 54 hours the energy level in the room is going to be super high and you’ll be surrounded by intelligent, talented and innovative people just like yourself.
What better way to spend a weekend?
Remco de JongUmbrellian Foundation, Chairman
Delite Group, CEO
Mob: +31 6 20099281
Bert-Jan WoertmanHTCE, Manager Business Development & Communication
Mob: +31 6 22985029
Noud de GreefCommunicatiedier, Owner
Evoluon, Communications Officer
Mob: +31 6 41822267
About Startupweekend Eindhoven
Startup Weekend is an intense 54 hour event which focuses on going from a high tech, design, web or mobile business idea into a prototype, market strategy or business case over the course of a weekend.
The weekend brings together people with different, complementary skillsets - primarily technological experts, designers, researchers, developers and business people – who turn ideas into startups!
More info: www.startupweekendeindhoven.nl.